Yanal Abul Failat
T: +44 (0) 208 439 8813
Yanal is a company and commercial lawyer advising clients internationally on corporate and commercial operations, M&A, regulatory matters, and dispute resolution.
Yanal principally advises mining and oil and gas companies globally on contentious and non-contentious matters including corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, licensing and regulation, and petroleum contracts across the entire supply chain (upstream, midstream, and downstream). He has cross-border experience in major corporate transactions and projects across Europe, Middle East, Russia, and South East Asia and has an interest in national and international space law.
Yanal also advises clients on a wide range of corporate and commercial transactions, including start-ups, franchising, reorganisations, joint ventures, private equity and venture capital, distribution and agency contracts and corporate governance.
His litigation record includes representing international energy companies, manufacturers, service providers, and individuals in commercial disputes and the effective enforcement of judgments and awards.
- LLB – Kingston University – London, England (2011)
- LLM (Oil and Gas Law) – Aberdeen University, Scotland (2012)
- Legal Practice Course – BPP University – London, England (2014)
- Admitted as a Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales (2016)
- Admitted as a Solicitor-Advocate of the Higher Courts of England and Wales (Civil Division) (2016)
- Arabic (Fluent)
- English (Fluent)
- Greek (Fluent)
- Italian (Fluent)
- Spanish (Beginner)
Organisations and memberships:
- Member of the Commonwealth Lawyer Association (Since 2019)
- Member of the Solicitors Association of Higher Court Advocates (Since 2016)
- Member of the Satellite Finance Network (Since 2015)
- UK National Point of Contact for (and member of) the European Centre for Space Law (since 2015)
- Committee Member of the UK Chapter of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiations (since 2013)
- Associate Editor at the Oil and Gas and Energy Law Journal (since 2013)
- Space Law: Legal Policy and Practice (Globe Law and Business October 2017) (with Anèl Ferreira-Snyman).
- The Oil and Gas Law Statute Book (Dunya Publishing 2014) (with Ali Lazem).
- ‘Petroleum Sales Agreement’ in G. Gordon, J. Paterson, and E. Usenmez (eds), UK Oil and Gas Law: Current Practice and Emerging Trends: Volume II: Commercial and Contract Law Issues (3rd, Edinburgh University Press 2018);
- ‘Shale Gas Regulation in the United Kingdom’ in Vivek Bakshi, Shale Gas: A Practitioner’s Guide to Shale Gas & Unconventional Resources (2nd , Globe Law and Business 2017);
- ‘Standards and Practices in JOAs across the Petroleum Industry’ in Understanding Joint Operating Agreements (2017 Intersentia) (with Eduardo Pereira); and
- ‘Key Issues relating to JOAs in civil law countries’ in Understanding Joint Operating Agreements (2017 Intersentia) (with Eduardo Pereira).
- ‘Political Risk Management in Natural Resources in the MENA and the Latin American Regions’ (2014) Advance Publication OGEL (with Elizabeth Eljuri);
- ‘Third Party Access to Infrastructure in the United Kingdom Continental Shelf: An Unhappy Mix of Heavy-Handed Regulation and Light-Handed Regulation’ (2014) 12(1) OGEL;
- ‘The Iraqi Federal Oil and Gas Law 2011: exploration, exploitation and expropriation’ (2013) 32 (4) IELR 141.