Building on our longstanding relationship with the European Institutions and authorities across Europe, we regularly advise on competition law matters and EU regulation applicable in our specialist practice areas, including environmental regulation and Climate Change policy and flexible mechanisms.
We have been involved in many matters representing and advising clients engaged in businesses across the European continent, drawing on the support of our dedicated team based in Milan and Brussels supported by the London and Middle East offices and a group of multilingual lawyers in various part of the world.
We particular expertise in environmental law and assist our clients in navigating the complex English and EU regulatory framework as it applies to their businesses. Our knowledge includes advising governmental authorities on twinning projects and projects for the harmonisation of laws with European laws on climate change, the environment, and renewable energy.
Our experience includes acting for and advising:
- the government of Montenegro on the Twinning Project “Improvement of the environmental conditions in Montenegro by ensuring continued legal harmonisation and development of institutional capacities”;
- the Ministry of Environment (Italy) and Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation (Egypt) on the Twinning between the Italian Ministry of Environment and the Ministry of Water Resources and Irrigation in Egypt, on “Water Quality Management”;
- the Ministry of Environment and Energy in Morocco in relation to the drafting of tender documents (in accordance with rules and procedures applying to EC external aid contracts) for the execution of feasibility studies for the identification and realization of CDM projects in Morocco in the field of energy efficiency and renewable sources;
- the Italian Ministry of European Affairs in assessing compliance of the Italian implementing legislation with the Kyoto Protocol (UNFCCC) and the EU Directive on Emission Trading;
- the Italian Ministry of Environment on Twinning Project with Morocco on the “Integrated management of the environment, harmonisation of national legislation and its progressive approximation to the EU legislation”;
- the Italian Ministry of European Affairs on the Twinning Project with the Energy Efficiency Agency in Bulgaria. “Institutional Building at the Energy Efficiency Agency, Ministry of economy and energy”;
- the European Council on the drafting and implementation of the National Action Plan on Energy Efficiency in accordance with Directive 2006/32/CE; and
- the Ministry of Environment in 5 countries (Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro, Croatia, FYROM, Albania) as expert on EU environmental law and advising on approximation of national legislation on environmental protection to the EU regulatory and legislative framework assisting the Ministry of Environment of FYROM on the against the EU legislation and Member States implementing laws concerning the enforcement of environmental laws, with specific reference to the inspection activities, sanctions and cooperation between inspectors and public prosecutors.
- Advised the Ministry of Economic and Development and Energy in Kosovo on the framework of the Technical Assistance Project “Promoting energy efficiency and renewable energy in Kosovo” Europeaid 132021/C/SER/XK with reference to the review of the Energy Efficiency Law and the Energy Law in the part concerning promotion of renewable sources, in view of their further approximation to the EU acquis, including harmonization with the drafting of the new Law on Energy Performance of Buildings. Strong activity of capacity building in relation to the training and coordination of services among different competent bodies to ensure implementation and enforcement of new legislative instruments.
- Advised the Ministry in Albania on the framework of the Technical Assistance Project SMEI III “Support to EU integration” in relation to the assessment of the legislative framework and the preparation of GAP analysis reports relating to “Territorial Planning”, “Agriculture and Rural Development”, “Food Safety and Veterinary”.
Please go to Transactions and Cases to learn more about our experience in European laws and markets.
- “First-class” energy boutique (Legal 500 – 2013).
- Shortlisted for the Boutique Law Firm Award by the Lawyer Awards (2016-2018)
- Mrs Giovannella D’Andrea was ranked as one of the “Top Lawyers in Environmental Law” in Who’s Who Legal “The International Whose Who of Business Lawyers” 2011 – 2018.
- Mrs Giovannella D’Andrea was ranked as one of the “Top Lawyers in Europe specialising in Climate Change Matters” in the Chambers Guide 2008 and subsequent years.