Mining and Minerals
LXL advises explorers, developers, and other energy and mining companies on joint ventures, M&A transactions, project finance, and regulatory matters. LXL assists mining companies on the construction, development, funding and operation of mines and related infrastructure internationally and in difficult jurisdictions.
Our experience includes advising on projects relating to a wide range of minerals and commodities including aluminium, coal, copper, ore, gold, petcoke and water. We are involved in mining projects from the exploration stages, and all through the lifecycle of mining projects and with our experience of the legal and commercial difficulties that mining operators/host governments face, we provide support on all relevant legal aspects.
LXL is familiar with the industry documentation and can assist companies operating in the mining, minerals, or related commodity sectors with corporate structuring, consortium formation and joint ventures, documentation, discussions and negotiations with stakeholders, dispute management, import and export, investment protection strategy, equity fundraising, mergers and acquisitions, project finance, and project documentation.
Our experience includes acting for and advising
- a Saudi conglomerate on a multi-million investment in the Saudi gold mining sector;
- a Middle Eastern water company on a multi-million desalinated water supply with the State-owned water company;
- a Saudi utility corporation on its power generation projects in Saudi Arabia and its joint venture arrangement with European and Asian based utility corporations;
- a global aluminium company on its divestment of the packaging and closures business (value in excess of US$2.2 billion);
- a Saudi mining company on the design, engineering and construction of Petcoke plant in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia;
- ZESCO (the Zambian State electricity company) on the privatisation of the Copperbelt; and
- a Saudi conglomerate on a mining joint venture with a US mining company in respect of gold mining rights in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Please go to Transactions and Cases to learn more about our experience in Mining.
- “First-class” energy boutique (Legal 500 – 2013).
- Shortlisted for the Boutique Law Firm Award by the Lawyer Awards (2016-2018)
- Shortlisted for Petroleum Economist Award (Boutique Law Firm) (2015)
- Mr Thomas Marcovici is “excellent at managing large projects – clients love him.” (Legal 500 – 2014)
- Mr Ayad Ridha as having “Strong Middle East Expertise” (Legal 500 – 2014)