The increasing demand for power supply has changed the dynamics of international and domestic markets. In an ever-changing landscape, we advise private utility companies on power generation, transmission and distribution as well as governments on restructuring and privatisation projects of their power sectors.
Our experience in the power sector has been gained by our senior partners acting on large power projects including the privatisation of the UK electricity sector (the first of its kind) and on developing national electricity privatisations (in Bolivia, Peru and Zambia) as well as major bulk supply power contracts internationally, and IPPs in the UK, India, Kazakhstan, and Thailand.
In conjunction with our Corporate and M&A and Commercial Contracts and Transactions expertise, we continue to serve clients in the power sector and our areas of work include, construction and engineering, decommissioning, dispute resolution, environmental law, feasibility studies, fuel supply and transportation, investor-owned utilities, municipal utilities, state-owned electricity providers, commercial plans, operations and maintenance, power purchase agreement, and project finance.
Our experience includes acting for and advising:
- a Saudi private company on a multi-million project for the construction of a power plant and the sale and purchase of power output (the US$100 million);
- Scottish Hydro Electric PLC on its restructuring and preparation for its ultimate privatisation;
- on a number of joint ventures, regulatory and commercial contracts for generation, transmission, distribution and supply of electricity in Scotland, England and Wales;
- the Southern African parastatal on a number of African projects designed to improve energy security including series of contractors’ claims arising from the design and construction of a variety of power generation projects and the re-drafting of a range of related contracts;
- a Saudi utility corporation on its power generation in Saudi Arabia and its joint venture arrangement with European and Asian based utility corporations;
- on coal-fired IPP in India and Kazakhstan in relation to the structuring and development of the necessary contracts with a view to making them bankable;
- Government of Peru on the privatisation on its generation and distribution businesses (the Peruvian Electricity sector World Bank funded);
- Government of Bolivia on the privatisation of the electricity sector in Bolivia by way of capitalization (USD Confidential).
- Slovenian government by devising a restructuring plan for the electricity sector; and
- the Zambian parastatal on the privatisation of the Copperbelt and related bulk supply agreement, on all relevant PPAs, and its interconnector with Namibia.
Please go to Transactions and Cases to learn more about our experience in Power.
- “First-class” energy boutique (Legal 500 – 2013).
- Shortlisted for the Boutique Law Firm Award by the Lawyer Awards (2016-2018)
- Shortlisted for Petroleum Economist Award (Boutique Law Firm) (2015)